Thursday, July 19, 2007

we, the fortunate

today, once again, i found myself not convinced that i must give a beggar a coin. like countless other days, innumerable other instances that haven't found themselves important enough to linger on in my memory.
but today i thought, why am i judging the need of another man! who am i really, to gauge the depths of his misery?
to decide that he doesn't deserve that coin? whereas if he were a little more deprived i'd have given it to him.

its quite unfair on my part to go around laying my verdict on these people who obviously, besides their poverty, suffer the humiliation at all times to have to stretch their arms before unfeeling souls. the excuse i often give myself is that the man is strong enough to work. or that i have more important things to do rather than stop and open my purse.... i could be the better person if i only do that bit, but i forgo the chance, and choose only to be myself.

is myself good enough? its not even an exhibition of generosity to give alms to a beggar. kahlil gibran very aptly said "it is unfair that i own gold and i give you silver and deem myself generous" i wrote this post as a reminder of a valuable step i've taken closer to being just. justice, respect, acceptance, are what should be our basic and honoured birthrights. yet, it is sought in this world of billions.....

No comments: